Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saying it makes it unso, say some.

Is there anyone here who doesn't think their product, their business or their offspring isn't the greatest?

And in case the other person didn't notice, who ever misses an opportunity to say that out loud to anyone listening?

Here's one way others react to that:
"I'm reminded of a new trend I'm seeing more of, which is the act of declaring whatever you're working on 'the best ever,' 'the best in the world,' etc.

Saying it doesn't make it so. In fact, it probably makes it unso."
So writes Seth Godin here.

Sigh.

Do you know how to inspire curiosity in your product? Instead of "There she goes again!"

Three of the 12 CDs on the expanded new Customer Enchilada program here are devoted to that. (Special ends tomorrow. Then it will be gone.)

No doubt you have ideas too...

3 comments:

Tom Doiron said...

Hi Kim,

I always crindge when I see signs, slogan, tag lines, and company names that use superlatives; like Best, Superior, and Atlanta's Finest.

The absence of a little humility makes it a tough hill to climb for customer satisfaction.

Just able, not the best,
Tom Doiron
http://www.TomDoiron.com

Paul Eilers said...

When people say their product is the greatest or a business advertises they are the best, it can be described as industry incest. They're looking at each other for direction and ideas. This can make us a little bit dumber every year.

It’s a time to re-think some traditions and look for innovative ideas.

Paul Eilers
www.PaulsHealthBlog.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim I totally understand what you mean but my perspective is instead of talking about how wonderful my product is, I would rather people experience it themselves by giving away free samples(helps recruiting too). I think this is the best way to back up all the hype when we market our "amazing products". Ask me for a free sample")